Local or municipal governments use zoning to protect the health and safety of a community and to regulate growth. Zoning laws or municipal by-laws regulate the structure, size and features features of a building. Factors as height or levels, required setback from the street. Zoning by-laws affects where businesses can carry out and the type of business activities or business usage.
The primary zoning categories are agricultural, commercial, industrial, residential and mixed use. The county or city level of government is usually responsible for these zoning laws.

Common Questions
Can one live in a property that is zoned for commercial usage?

One could live in a commercial property, for example, the Ground Floors are zoned for commercial use and the upper levels are zoned for residential use. Commercial properties can include residential uses, such as apartment buildings and hotels, which are commercial properties.

The question would be better worded. “Can I live on a property not permitted for residential use?” The answer is no, you can’t do that legally.

For example an industrial building zoned for manufacturing one could not reside in this building as it not zoned for residential use.

If you want to change your residential property to commercial property you must demonstrate how this zoning modification will benefit the community. Find a property like yours that was rezoned to commercial; collect evidence demonstrating the benefits.
“Meet the Neighbors”
Companies provide the necessary employment, products, and services to make a community thrive. Well-organized neighborhoods will have their own associations – visit your neighborhood association. Neighbors might express worries over increased traffic, noise, and pollution. Offer solutions.
Meet new neighbors and build up a rapport. Rezoning decisions will require two sets of approval: 1) from the government and 2) from the community.
“Attend Zoning Meetings”
Attend regular government and zoning meetings to build up a relationship with the decision makers. Learn about requirements and how people succeed in rezoning their land.
Collect the official land description details for your plat or parcel. You might consider hiring an attorney, architect, engineer or surveyor to support your case. You must look professional. Develop a back-up plan in case there are too many concerns with your original plan.
Make your request to the zoning officials. File your paperwork and pay the filing fee. Your request will be published in the local newspaper. Neighbors can comment pro and con. The government may want you to revise your plan. Finally, there will be a vote on whether to change the zoning ordinance.